Requirements for Obtaining a Pyrotechnics License in California:
- Apprentice on a professional display crew for a minimum of 2 years.
- Work a minimum of 8 public fireworks displays within the 2 year requirement.
- Obtain 5 written letters of recommendation from California Pyrotechnic Operators who have been licensed for a year or more.
- Apply for a license by sending in your application, letters, and live scan form to the California State Fire Marshall's office.
- Pass a thorough background check.
- Take the California State Fire Marshall's written pyrotechnics exam, which is based on the California State Fireworks Laws.
Requirement For Transportating Fireworks
Since the fireworks used in your displays need to make it from the fireworks plant to your show site, you need to also obtain a Class C Commercial Drivers License with a Hazardous Materials Endorsement. Here are the requirements for obtaining your Class C Commercial Drivers License with a Hazardous Materials Endorsement:
- Study and know the California commercial driving laws.
- You must receive a driver medical exam prior to and every two years thereafter in order to maintain your commercial drivers license.
- Hazardous Material Endorsements require you to undergo a security threat assesment by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) before the DMV can issue them. This process includes a fee, finger printing, and another background check.
If you wish to be a part of this exciting profession, please visit our contact page for contact information and get started!